3rd Call for Joint Collaborative Project Proposals on Technology & Innovation Cooperation between France and Germany
Project Applications and national funding applications will be accepted until 31.05.2018
France and Germany are announcing a Call for Proposals for joint R&D projects, focusing on developing innovative products and applications in all technological and application areas. Applicants are expected to develop ready-to-market solutions for products, technology-based services or methods which have strong potential for France, Germany, European and international markets. Partners apply with a short application form for their R&D project (provided for download) and have to file their individual applications demanded by the national funding agencies Bpifrance and AiF Projekt GmbH.
The Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) in Germany and Bpifrance will provide access to public funding for joint selected projects. Minimum requirement concerning project consortium is the participation of at least two companies from the participating countries (one each).
BMWi (supported by the AiF Projekt GmbH) and Bpifrance will provide all necessary assistance to project partners during the project proposal, evaluation and monitoring phases. In addition, Bpifrance and BMWi will facilitate the application process and will accompany the progress of the respective projects.
The call invites partners to present joint proposals for industrial R&D projects until 31.05.2018 according to the following structures and procedures:
The accepted projects will be partially funded by respectively, Bpifrance on the French side and AIF on the German side. The remaining costs will be the responsibility of the project participants
They will finance their share of the costs from their own national funds, venture capital or the applicable national, regional or international public funding schemes. Please note that public funding per project in the EU is limited.
Project content and evaluation for national funding request
Expected project results will have to contribute to the development of commercial products, applications and/or technology-based services. The project proposals have to comply with the following guidelines:
The consortia should include at least two companies from the participating countries (participation of research institutes/universities is welcome as additional participants or as subcontractor according to each country’s funding regulations).
- Companies and/or academia from other countries may also participate. These partners’ participation follows financing rules including procedures and the funding regulations of these partners’ countries of origin.
- The project should have an obvious advantage and added value resulting from the cooperation between the participants from the countries (e.g. increased knowledge base, commercial leads, access to R&D infrastructure, new fields of application, etc.).
- The project should demonstrate the contribution of the participants from the two countries.
Any partner whose cooperative R&D project is consistent with the aforesaid criteria can apply to the present announcement in accordance with the national laws, rules, regulations and procedures in effect.
Submission and approval procedures
One completed Project Application Form for the whole consortium should be submitted electronically by the applicants to their national project management agency offices: Bpifrance in France and AiF Projekt GmbH in Germany (addresses attached to this document). The form has to be legally signed by all participating companies. The signatures must be scanned and sent electronically together with the application form.
Simultaneously all participants have to submit their funding applications according to national procedures. The relevant national funding organization should be contacted for details about this procedure (contact details here below).
Only projects approved by both countries will be recommended for funding. Each country will fund its eligible participants according its funding criteria. As short summary, main aspects of the national criteria are explained below:
ADI (Aide pour le développement de l’innovation) requirements:
- Partnerships: Two or more industrial partners (a Foreign company and a French company)
- No country or partner representing more than 70% of the total budget of the project.
- Eligible Beneficiaries: French companies up to 2000 fulltime equivalents (FTE)
- Eligible costs: Industrial research and experimental development (industrialization and commercialization costs are not eligible)
- Funding amount: from € 50,000 up to € 3 Millions (submitted to financial analysis of the company and financial conditions)
- Duration: maximum of 3 years
- Funding: zero interest rate loan reimbursable in case of technical success, up to 65% of the eligible costs for an SME and up to 50% for midcap companies
Any payment is subject to a signed consortium agreement.
Requirements, in particular:
The application has to be in line with the ZIM regulation, e.g. it has to be in the German language. Detailed criteria can be found on the ZIM website (http://www.zim-bmwi.de/kooperationsprojekte) in German only.
- Partnerships: Two or more industrial partners
- No country or partner representing more than 70% of the total budget of the project. Eligible Beneficiaries:
- German companies (up to 499 employees).
- German research institutes/universities are accepted as additional partners according to the rules available on the ZIM website.
- Eligible costs: Industrial research and experimental development
- Funding amount:
- conditional grant amounting up to 55% of the project costs, which are restricted to € 380,000 per SME project.
- For Research and Technology Organisations (RTOs) the funding rate is 100% and funding is limited to € 190,000.
- Duration: maximum of 3 years
- There are no restrictions to specific technologies or branches.
- It is possible to begin a research project at own risk after submission of the funding application to AiF Projekt GmbH has officially been confirmed
Before submitting the application we recommend contacting the AiF Projekt GmbH to clarify open questions. Any payment is subject to a signed consortium agreement.
- Launch of the 3rd Call for Proposals : 1 March 2018
- Deadline for joint application : 31 May 2018
- Deadline for the eligibility check : Mid June 2018
- Final decision for funding : Mid September 2018